Well it is that time of year again and Christmas is here, sadly this year it also brought the snow and all the lakes around me are frozen solid.But don’t let that stop you from getting out and enjoying the unique fishing that this season offers.
I am having fun on the rivers, the above pic shows me on the Thames near Weighbridge lure fishing. No fish this time but it was just good to get out and wet a line. By the way this section of river has been fishing very poorly recently it seems ( from speaking to the people on the bank) and probably is not enjoying the extra pressure from the lake anglers who now have no where to go 🙂
Anyway I hope that you all have a superb Xmas, dont eat too much and get out on boxing day for the traditional session !
A couple of tips if you do venture out :
- 2 pairs of socks are better than 1
- It is very wet with the snow on the ground so make sure that your shoes are waterproof
- layers, layers layers. Remember – Base layer (Merino lambs wool) , middle layer ( fleece) and top layer ( gore tex)
- Gloves are essential
- Hat is essential
- Sunglasses – the sun is very low at this time of year
- Glycerin in the rod rings to stop ice buildup
- Braid is not the best choice 🙂
- Bring food and some money to get hot snacks if available
Otherwise get out there and have fun, the rivers are very quiet generally and are under fished. Have fun and let me know how you get on.